Sudbury Historical Society, Inc.Sudbury Historical Society, Inc.
Second Floor Town Hall   322 Concord Road   Sudbury   Middlesex County   Massachusetts 01776

Collections

The Sudbury Historical Society's collections include a wide variety of items from citizens, households, farms and businesses located within Sudbury or related to Sudbury.

While only a small percentage of the collections are arranged in exhibition displays, the Society has an electronic catalog of its holdings which makes it easy to arrange for items to be made available if you visit the Society.

A sampling of the Society's holdings are shown below.

Historian's Picks

Historian Lee Swanson describes about a selection of artifacts that tickle his fancy.


  • Copyright (c) SHS 2011

    Wool Carding Comb (Sudbury?, circa 1820?)

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla sed augue purus. Aliquam posuere dolor placerat lacus pellentesque at vulputate erat auctor. Nunc volutpat euismod porttitor. Aenean ante nibh, aliquet at faucibus in, pulvinar nec risus. Aenean tempus venenatis arcu, vel lacinia metus pharetra et. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id urna nulla, quis molestie nisl.

    Nulla commodo, ante sed viverra mollis, erat odio cursus nisl, mattis ullamcorper leo mi nec turpis. Sed adipiscing, lectus ac aliquam sagittis, arcu elit adipiscing sapien, in bibendum orci urna non turpis. Curabitur ornare porta sapien fermentum sagittis. Donec eleifend turpis et lacus sodales facilisis eget at orci. Vivamus at venenatis libero. Nunc blandit eleifend nibh vitae hendrerit. In sodales dignissim quam eu lobortis. Etiam eu massa ut nunc consequat ultricies. Nulla venenatis purus quis eros accumsan dictum. Cras posuere malesuada lacinia. Maecenas cursus felis ut massa cursus tincidunt. Curabitur risus dolor, tristique in gravida et, tincidunt et nibh. Suspendisse potenti. Sed congue dui sit amet dolor dictum ac scelerisque orci malesuada.

    Aenean vitae enim diam. Nulla facilisi. Integer at urna nisi. Nam enim quam, porttitor in semper vitae, blandit ac orci. Sed vitae commodo risus. Mauris tristique, sem et sodales commodo, elit orci pretium erat, et facilisis nisi libero ultricies quam. Donec euismod cursus consectetur.

    Aliquam volutpat pretium mi, eget ullamcorper tellus accumsan consectetur. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed imperdiet iaculis egestas. In aliquam vestibulum magna sed sagittis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Pellentesque sit amet velit sed est aliquet pharetra at non massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam interdum sollicitudin diam, in porta felis dapibus at.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Thingamabob (Sudbury?, 19th century?)

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla sed augue purus. Aliquam posuere dolor placerat lacus pellentesque at vulputate erat auctor. Nunc volutpat euismod porttitor. Aenean ante nibh, aliquet at faucibus in, pulvinar nec risus. Aenean tempus venenatis arcu, vel lacinia metus pharetra et. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id urna nulla, quis molestie nisl.

    Nulla commodo, ante sed viverra mollis, erat odio cursus nisl, mattis ullamcorper leo mi nec turpis. Sed adipiscing, lectus ac aliquam sagittis, arcu elit adipiscing sapien, in bibendum orci urna non turpis. Curabitur ornare porta sapien fermentum sagittis. Donec eleifend turpis et lacus sodales facilisis eget at orci. Vivamus at venenatis libero. Nunc blandit eleifend nibh vitae hendrerit. In sodales dignissim quam eu lobortis. Etiam eu massa ut nunc consequat ultricies. Nulla venenatis purus quis eros accumsan dictum. Cras posuere malesuada lacinia. Maecenas cursus felis ut massa cursus tincidunt. Curabitur risus dolor, tristique in gravida et, tincidunt et nibh. Suspendisse potenti. Sed congue dui sit amet dolor dictum ac scelerisque orci malesuada.

    Aenean vitae enim diam. Nulla facilisi. Integer at urna nisi. Nam enim quam, porttitor in semper vitae, blandit ac orci. Sed vitae commodo risus. Mauris tristique, sem et sodales commodo, elit orci pretium erat, et facilisis nisi libero ultricies quam. Donec euismod cursus consectetur.

    Aliquam volutpat pretium mi, eget ullamcorper tellus accumsan consectetur. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed imperdiet iaculis egestas. In aliquam vestibulum magna sed sagittis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Pellentesque sit amet velit sed est aliquet pharetra at non massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam interdum sollicitudin diam, in porta felis dapibus at.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Copper Doohicky (Sudbury?, 19th century?)

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla sed augue purus. Aliquam posuere dolor placerat lacus pellentesque at vulputate erat auctor. Nunc volutpat euismod porttitor. Aenean ante nibh, aliquet at faucibus in, pulvinar nec risus. Aenean tempus venenatis arcu, vel lacinia metus pharetra et. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id urna nulla, quis molestie nisl.

    Nulla commodo, ante sed viverra mollis, erat odio cursus nisl, mattis ullamcorper leo mi nec turpis. Sed adipiscing, lectus ac aliquam sagittis, arcu elit adipiscing sapien, in bibendum orci urna non turpis. Curabitur ornare porta sapien fermentum sagittis. Donec eleifend turpis et lacus sodales facilisis eget at orci. Vivamus at venenatis libero. Nunc blandit eleifend nibh vitae hendrerit. In sodales dignissim quam eu lobortis. Etiam eu massa ut nunc consequat ultricies. Nulla venenatis purus quis eros accumsan dictum. Cras posuere malesuada lacinia. Maecenas cursus felis ut massa cursus tincidunt. Curabitur risus dolor, tristique in gravida et, tincidunt et nibh. Suspendisse potenti. Sed congue dui sit amet dolor dictum ac scelerisque orci malesuada.

    Aenean vitae enim diam. Nulla facilisi. Integer at urna nisi. Nam enim quam, porttitor in semper vitae, blandit ac orci. Sed vitae commodo risus. Mauris tristique, sem et sodales commodo, elit orci pretium erat, et facilisis nisi libero ultricies quam. Donec euismod cursus consectetur.

    Aliquam volutpat pretium mi, eget ullamcorper tellus accumsan consectetur. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed imperdiet iaculis egestas. In aliquam vestibulum magna sed sagittis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Pellentesque sit amet velit sed est aliquet pharetra at non massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam interdum sollicitudin diam, in porta felis dapibus at.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Ballot Box (circa 1860)

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla sed augue purus. Aliquam posuere dolor placerat lacus pellentesque at vulputate erat auctor. Nunc volutpat euismod porttitor. Aenean ante nibh, aliquet at faucibus in, pulvinar nec risus. Aenean tempus venenatis arcu, vel lacinia metus pharetra et. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id urna nulla, quis molestie nisl.

    Nulla commodo, ante sed viverra mollis, erat odio cursus nisl, mattis ullamcorper leo mi nec turpis. Sed adipiscing, lectus ac aliquam sagittis, arcu elit adipiscing sapien, in bibendum orci urna non turpis. Curabitur ornare porta sapien fermentum sagittis. Donec eleifend turpis et lacus sodales facilisis eget at orci. Vivamus at venenatis libero. Nunc blandit eleifend nibh vitae hendrerit. In sodales dignissim quam eu lobortis. Etiam eu massa ut nunc consequat ultricies. Nulla venenatis purus quis eros accumsan dictum. Cras posuere malesuada lacinia. Maecenas cursus felis ut massa cursus tincidunt. Curabitur risus dolor, tristique in gravida et, tincidunt et nibh. Suspendisse potenti. Sed congue dui sit amet dolor dictum ac scelerisque orci malesuada.

    Aenean vitae enim diam. Nulla facilisi. Integer at urna nisi. Nam enim quam, porttitor in semper vitae, blandit ac orci. Sed vitae commodo risus. Mauris tristique, sem et sodales commodo, elit orci pretium erat, et facilisis nisi libero ultricies quam. Donec euismod cursus consectetur.

    Aliquam volutpat pretium mi, eget ullamcorper tellus accumsan consectetur. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed imperdiet iaculis egestas. In aliquam vestibulum magna sed sagittis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Pellentesque sit amet velit sed est aliquet pharetra at non massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam interdum sollicitudin diam, in porta felis dapibus at.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Wood Twirly Thing (19th Century?)

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla sed augue purus. Aliquam posuere dolor placerat lacus pellentesque at vulputate erat auctor. Nunc volutpat euismod porttitor. Aenean ante nibh, aliquet at faucibus in, pulvinar nec risus. Aenean tempus venenatis arcu, vel lacinia metus pharetra et. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id urna nulla, quis molestie nisl.

    Nulla commodo, ante sed viverra mollis, erat odio cursus nisl, mattis ullamcorper leo mi nec turpis. Sed adipiscing, lectus ac aliquam sagittis, arcu elit adipiscing sapien, in bibendum orci urna non turpis. Curabitur ornare porta sapien fermentum sagittis. Donec eleifend turpis et lacus sodales facilisis eget at orci. Vivamus at venenatis libero. Nunc blandit eleifend nibh vitae hendrerit. In sodales dignissim quam eu lobortis. Etiam eu massa ut nunc consequat ultricies. Nulla venenatis purus quis eros accumsan dictum. Cras posuere malesuada lacinia. Maecenas cursus felis ut massa cursus tincidunt. Curabitur risus dolor, tristique in gravida et, tincidunt et nibh. Suspendisse potenti. Sed congue dui sit amet dolor dictum ac scelerisque orci malesuada.

    Aenean vitae enim diam. Nulla facilisi. Integer at urna nisi. Nam enim quam, porttitor in semper vitae, blandit ac orci. Sed vitae commodo risus. Mauris tristique, sem et sodales commodo, elit orci pretium erat, et facilisis nisi libero ultricies quam. Donec euismod cursus consectetur.

    Aliquam volutpat pretium mi, eget ullamcorper tellus accumsan consectetur. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed imperdiet iaculis egestas. In aliquam vestibulum magna sed sagittis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Pellentesque sit amet velit sed est aliquet pharetra at non massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam interdum sollicitudin diam, in porta felis dapibus at.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Cranberry Rake (circa 1820)

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla sed augue purus. Aliquam posuere dolor placerat lacus pellentesque at vulputate erat auctor. Nunc volutpat euismod porttitor. Aenean ante nibh, aliquet at faucibus in, pulvinar nec risus. Aenean tempus venenatis arcu, vel lacinia metus pharetra et. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id urna nulla, quis molestie nisl.

    Nulla commodo, ante sed viverra mollis, erat odio cursus nisl, mattis ullamcorper leo mi nec turpis. Sed adipiscing, lectus ac aliquam sagittis, arcu elit adipiscing sapien, in bibendum orci urna non turpis. Curabitur ornare porta sapien fermentum sagittis. Donec eleifend turpis et lacus sodales facilisis eget at orci. Vivamus at venenatis libero. Nunc blandit eleifend nibh vitae hendrerit. In sodales dignissim quam eu lobortis. Etiam eu massa ut nunc consequat ultricies. Nulla venenatis purus quis eros accumsan dictum. Cras posuere malesuada lacinia. Maecenas cursus felis ut massa cursus tincidunt. Curabitur risus dolor, tristique in gravida et, tincidunt et nibh. Suspendisse potenti. Sed congue dui sit amet dolor dictum ac scelerisque orci malesuada.

    Aenean vitae enim diam. Nulla facilisi. Integer at urna nisi. Nam enim quam, porttitor in semper vitae, blandit ac orci. Sed vitae commodo risus. Mauris tristique, sem et sodales commodo, elit orci pretium erat, et facilisis nisi libero ultricies quam. Donec euismod cursus consectetur.

    Aliquam volutpat pretium mi, eget ullamcorper tellus accumsan consectetur. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed imperdiet iaculis egestas. In aliquam vestibulum magna sed sagittis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Pellentesque sit amet velit sed est aliquet pharetra at non massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam interdum sollicitudin diam, in porta felis dapibus at.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Pair of Horse's Bog Shoes, (19th century?)

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla sed augue purus. Aliquam posuere dolor placerat lacus pellentesque at vulputate erat auctor. Nunc volutpat euismod porttitor. Aenean ante nibh, aliquet at faucibus in, pulvinar nec risus. Aenean tempus venenatis arcu, vel lacinia metus pharetra et. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id urna nulla, quis molestie nisl.

    Nulla commodo, ante sed viverra mollis, erat odio cursus nisl, mattis ullamcorper leo mi nec turpis. Sed adipiscing, lectus ac aliquam sagittis, arcu elit adipiscing sapien, in bibendum orci urna non turpis. Curabitur ornare porta sapien fermentum sagittis. Donec eleifend turpis et lacus sodales facilisis eget at orci. Vivamus at venenatis libero. Nunc blandit eleifend nibh vitae hendrerit. In sodales dignissim quam eu lobortis. Etiam eu massa ut nunc consequat ultricies. Nulla venenatis purus quis eros accumsan dictum. Cras posuere malesuada lacinia. Maecenas cursus felis ut massa cursus tincidunt. Curabitur risus dolor, tristique in gravida et, tincidunt et nibh. Suspendisse potenti. Sed congue dui sit amet dolor dictum ac scelerisque orci malesuada.

    Aenean vitae enim diam. Nulla facilisi. Integer at urna nisi. Nam enim quam, porttitor in semper vitae, blandit ac orci. Sed vitae commodo risus. Mauris tristique, sem et sodales commodo, elit orci pretium erat, et facilisis nisi libero ultricies quam. Donec euismod cursus consectetur.

    Aliquam volutpat pretium mi, eget ullamcorper tellus accumsan consectetur. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed imperdiet iaculis egestas. In aliquam vestibulum magna sed sagittis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Pellentesque sit amet velit sed est aliquet pharetra at non massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam interdum sollicitudin diam, in porta felis dapibus at.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Ladies Stirrup Shoes? (19th century)

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla sed augue purus. Aliquam posuere dolor placerat lacus pellentesque at vulputate erat auctor. Nunc volutpat euismod porttitor. Aenean ante nibh, aliquet at faucibus in, pulvinar nec risus. Aenean tempus venenatis arcu, vel lacinia metus pharetra et. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id urna nulla, quis molestie nisl.

    Nulla commodo, ante sed viverra mollis, erat odio cursus nisl, mattis ullamcorper leo mi nec turpis. Sed adipiscing, lectus ac aliquam sagittis, arcu elit adipiscing sapien, in bibendum orci urna non turpis. Curabitur ornare porta sapien fermentum sagittis. Donec eleifend turpis et lacus sodales facilisis eget at orci. Vivamus at venenatis libero. Nunc blandit eleifend nibh vitae hendrerit. In sodales dignissim quam eu lobortis. Etiam eu massa ut nunc consequat ultricies. Nulla venenatis purus quis eros accumsan dictum. Cras posuere malesuada lacinia. Maecenas cursus felis ut massa cursus tincidunt. Curabitur risus dolor, tristique in gravida et, tincidunt et nibh. Suspendisse potenti. Sed congue dui sit amet dolor dictum ac scelerisque orci malesuada.

    Aenean vitae enim diam. Nulla facilisi. Integer at urna nisi. Nam enim quam, porttitor in semper vitae, blandit ac orci. Sed vitae commodo risus. Mauris tristique, sem et sodales commodo, elit orci pretium erat, et facilisis nisi libero ultricies quam. Donec euismod cursus consectetur.

    Aliquam volutpat pretium mi, eget ullamcorper tellus accumsan consectetur. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed imperdiet iaculis egestas. In aliquam vestibulum magna sed sagittis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Pellentesque sit amet velit sed est aliquet pharetra at non massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam interdum sollicitudin diam, in porta felis dapibus at.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Tin Serving Scoopy Thing (19th century)

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla sed augue purus. Aliquam posuere dolor placerat lacus pellentesque at vulputate erat auctor. Nunc volutpat euismod porttitor. Aenean ante nibh, aliquet at faucibus in, pulvinar nec risus. Aenean tempus venenatis arcu, vel lacinia metus pharetra et. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id urna nulla, quis molestie nisl.

    Nulla commodo, ante sed viverra mollis, erat odio cursus nisl, mattis ullamcorper leo mi nec turpis. Sed adipiscing, lectus ac aliquam sagittis, arcu elit adipiscing sapien, in bibendum orci urna non turpis. Curabitur ornare porta sapien fermentum sagittis. Donec eleifend turpis et lacus sodales facilisis eget at orci. Vivamus at venenatis libero. Nunc blandit eleifend nibh vitae hendrerit. In sodales dignissim quam eu lobortis. Etiam eu massa ut nunc consequat ultricies. Nulla venenatis purus quis eros accumsan dictum. Cras posuere malesuada lacinia. Maecenas cursus felis ut massa cursus tincidunt. Curabitur risus dolor, tristique in gravida et, tincidunt et nibh. Suspendisse potenti. Sed congue dui sit amet dolor dictum ac scelerisque orci malesuada.

    Aenean vitae enim diam. Nulla facilisi. Integer at urna nisi. Nam enim quam, porttitor in semper vitae, blandit ac orci. Sed vitae commodo risus. Mauris tristique, sem et sodales commodo, elit orci pretium erat, et facilisis nisi libero ultricies quam. Donec euismod cursus consectetur.

    Aliquam volutpat pretium mi, eget ullamcorper tellus accumsan consectetur. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed imperdiet iaculis egestas. In aliquam vestibulum magna sed sagittis. Aliquam erat volutpat. Pellentesque sit amet velit sed est aliquet pharetra at non massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Nam interdum sollicitudin diam, in porta felis dapibus at.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332


Harry Rice's Collection of Native American Artifacts

In the early 1900's, Harry Rice assembled a substantial collection of Native American artifacts primarily found in South Sudbury near the Sudbury River.

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Dressing Table (East Windsor, about 1783)

    Attributed to the Eliphalet Chapin shop of East Windsor, this cherry wood dressing table is considered one of the masterpieces of Connecticut furniture. Every detail of its elaborate construction and design is meticulously executed. Decoration on the table includes an applied carving on the central lower drawer in the shape of the initials “AL,” embellished with trailing vines and finely carved leaves. “AL” is presumed to be the initials for Amasa Loomis (1737-1793) a widower from East Windsor, who married widow Priscilla Birge in 1783. Priscilla’s fifteen year-old son, Jonathan, might have been an apprentice in Chapin’s shop at the time, and his mother may have selected this elegant, personalized Chapin dressing table as a wedding gift.

    The Connecticut Historical Society collection includes more than 400 pieces of Connecticut furniture, among them many other outstanding examples from the Chapin shop, one of the two earliest turned chairs known to have been made in America, and a chair once belonging to Governor John Winthrop, Jr.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Silly Putty (New Haven, 1960s)

    Connecticut companies have produced famous toys and games for more than a century. The list includes Wiffle Balls from Shelton, PEZ Candy from Orange, Erector Sets from New Haven, and Cabbage Patch Kids from West Hartford. The tradition started in 1843, when John and Elisha Stevens began making iron toys in Cromwell. Later, the development of consumer plastics enabled manufacturers to mass-produce products quickly and cheaply, giving children across the country access to toys that have become icons of American pop culture.

    One such toy, Silly Putty, was accidentally discovered when engineer James Wright tried to develop a synthetic rubber at the General Electric laboratory in New Haven during World War II. For several years, scientists tried to find a practical use for the bouncy, stretchy substance. It was Peter Hodgson who saw its potential and brought Silly Putty to the International Toy Fair in New York in 1950.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Wedding Dress (Sold by G. Fox & Co. 1941)

    By the 1940s, large department stores, like G. Fox & Co. of Hartford, had become landmarks in their communities. G. Fox provided “one stop shopping” for its clientele and was known for its superb products and customer service.

    On September 27, 1941, G. Fox customer Barbara Doty paid $29.98 for the dress she would wear to marry Francis Kane in Thomaston, Connecticut the following month. The wedding dress, made by the New York Dress Institute, typifies the sleek, sophisticated style of the times. Made of cream colored rayon satin, the gown’s long sleeves, sweetheart neckline, and long trained skirt created an elegant silhouette for Miss Doty’s big day. The simple refinement of the gown and the reasonable price is a tribute to the American practicality of the Depression and World War II eras.

    The Connecticut Historical Society has other materials—artifacts, documents, photographs, and oral histories—related to G. Fox & Co., its products and employees, longtime President Beatrice Fox Auerbach, and the Fox and Auerbach families. To find out more, visit the Remembering G. Fox & Co. website.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Summer Bedspread (Norwalk, about 1860)

    According to the handwritten label attached to it, Captain Charles Selleck designed this summer bedspread with his wife Samantha, who pieced and stitched it around 1860. The appliquéd coverlet incorporates two nautical motifs—the mariner’s compass and the anchor—set among national flags and yellow stars. The anchor symbolized hope, a sentiment regularly expressed by a wife for the safety of her seafaring husband.

    The “Mariner’s Compass” is one of the earliest American quilt patterns, made popular along the Atlantic Coast during the 18th and 19th century. With much of everyday life in coastal New England revolving around the peril and promise of the sea, and many women with knowledge of the maritime trades and affection for the men engaged in them, nautical themes were natural choices for quilt designs.

    The Connecticut Historical Society collection includes nearly 200 bed coverings, including 114 quilts.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Treasury Guard Flag (Philadelphia, 1864)

    Extensive research and eyewitness accounts confirm that this flag was in the hands of President Abraham Lincoln at the moment he was shot. It is one of five flags that decorated the Presidential box at Ford’s Theater on April 14, 1865. The theater had borrowed several flags for the occasion, including this one from the Treasury Department.

    The Treasury Guard regiment was made up of employees of the Treasury Department, and according to its painted inscription, this silk flag was presented to the regiment by “the Ladies of the Treasury Dept.” in 1864. In addition to the standard thirteen red and white stripes, the flag has a painted blue canton with a white star for each of the 35 states in the Union at the time.

    The flag was donated to the Connecticut Historical Society in 1922, but remained folded in a display box until it was rediscovered in 1998 during a reassessment of the CHS’s Civil War collection. The flag is mounted “backwards” to display its more decorative reverse side.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Nipmuc Basket (about 1840)

    Long before European contact, Native Americans in Connecticut, such as the Nipmuc, wove baskets for storing grain, corn, fish, and other items. Beginning in the mid 1700s, as native populations were displaced by European settlers, many Native Americans remaining in the region began selling baskets and other traditional crafts to colonists as a source of income. This rectangular, covered basket is made from woven ash and oak and includes two twig bail handles wrapped with splint. It is decorated with geometric designs painted in vibrant red and indigo blue.

    By the late 1800s, most Native American baskets were made primarily for decorative purposes. The art of basket weaving was passed down through generations and was an expression of cultural identity. Today, Native American basket weavers are recognized artists, who often sign their work.

    Many Native American artifacts, including a basket, brooms, grain bin, mortar and pestle, tools, and weapons are on permanent exhibit in Tours & Detours through Early Connecticut at the Connecticut Historical Society.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Portrait of Yung Wing (Illustration from Harper’s Weekly, May 18, 1878)

    From 1872-1881 the Chinese Educational Mission, a program sponsored by the Chinese government to help students obtain training in Western science, technology, and military affairs, had its headquarters in Hartford. Its Director, Yung Wing, graduated from Yale University in 1850, the first Chinese student to graduate from an American university.

    The Connecticut Historical Society collection includes letters from Yung Wing and Chinese students, photographs and prints, papers, and documents related to the program and student activities.

    Although the Chinese Educational Mission was dissolved following the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act, some Chinese students came later. The CHS preserves clothing once owned by Liang Chi Chang, who was sent to study in Hartford in 1910 and whose father, Liang Tun Yen, had studied in Connecticut as part of the Chinese Educational Mission. In a 1913 letter to the Welles family, with whom his son lived, Liang Tun Yen wrote “Hartford is like a home to me, I know the place and people—when my son is there, I know he is among real good people.”

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Photograph of a Migrant Worker (L.B. Haas & Company Farm, Hazardville, 1965)

    Jamaican men first migrated to Connecticut for seasonal work on tobacco farms during World War II as part of an arrangement between the American and British governments. Most of these workers returned home after the fall harvest season. Later, especially after 1962, when Jamaica became independent from Great Britain and restrictive immigration laws were lifted, many workers chose to stay in Connecticut. Family members and other immigrants from the Caribbean followed, and today Greater Hartford has the third largest West Indian population in the country. Like immigrants throughout Connecticut’s history, they have struggled to make a new home while maintaining ties to their homeland.

    In this photograph, taken around 1965, an unidentified worker pauses while caring for young tobacco plants on the L.B. Haas & Company Farm in the Hazardville section of Enfield. The Haas family was involved in the tobacco and cigar business as early as 1838, but the tobacco farm began operations in 1911.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Columbia Chainless Bicycle Poster (about 1897)

    This lithographed poster in Art Nouveau style advertised a gear-driven bicycle made by Pope Manufacturing Company in Hartford. The blank area at the bottom was for local vendors to add their own information. .

    Pope had been making bicycles in Hartford since 1878, but early high-wheelers were expensive and difficult to ride. It was only when Pope began producing “safety bicycles” with two wheels the same size that bicycles became practical and safe for women and children too. At the height of the bicycle craze in the 1890s, Pope was the city’s largest employer, with 4,000 workers producing 600 bicycles a day.

    Susan B. Anthony once claimed, “The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world.” Bicycle riding was recommended as healthful exercise but would have been impossible in tight corsets and floor-length skirts. The loose-fitting trousers promoted by Amelia Bloomer had once been criticized as indecent, but the bicycle’s new popularity brought divided skirts and bloomers into mainstream fashion.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Fulton Ancestral Chart (Printed 1901)

    Family history, one of the most popular topics among researchers at the Connecticut Historical Society, has fascinated Americans for generations. This printed chart, created at a time of intense foreign immigration, helped the user trace his or her family “back into the first fifty years of our Country’s history.”

    This copy begins with Lewis Edward Fulton (1879-1917) of Waterbury, who is represented at the bottom of the chart. Connected by diagonal lines, charming figurative drawings in period dress continue upward to reveal seven generations of the Fulton family, following Grandmother Edward’s line in greatest detail. Fulton presumably completed the family chart following his graduation from Yale College in 1901, the same year the chart was published by Edward Hagaman Hall (1858-1936), a printer, historian, and author, who was known for his preservation work.

    The CHS is a great place to start or continue research into your own family history. Visit the Family History page in the Research section of this website to learn more.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Richardson’s New Royal Battledore (1800-1850)

    A “battledore” is a small booklet made from folded cardboard or heavy paper. Battledores replaced earlier hornbooks for teaching children to read and usually included the alphabet, a prayer or religious verse, and some illustrated vocabulary words. The word derives from the name for an early type of badminton paddle, which resembled the hornbooks from which battledores emerged.

    The Connecticut Historical Society has an extensive collection of children’s books, textbooks, and children’s periodicals, including many early and rare publications from both Connecticut and elsewhere.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332

  • Copyright (c) SHS

    Letters between Frederick Lucas and Jennie Wadhams (1863-1867)

    This is one of a collection of over 100 letters exchanged between Frederick Lucas and Sarah J. “Jennie” Wadhams during the Civil War. Both were from Goshen, and Frederick enlisted in the 2nd Connecticut Heavy Artillery in 1862. He and Jennie began their correspondence as acquaintances, but their letters reveal a growing intimacy. By the fall of 1864, they had promised themselves to each other.

    These letters are rare in that both sides survive. The topics of conversation range from war news to religion to the couple’s feelings for one another. Frederick fought in many battles in the summer/fall of 1864, and was wounded at Cedar Creek in October 1864. The couple was married in 1867 and lived the rest of their lives in Goshen, where they raised two sons.

    The Connecticut Historical Society has an extensive collection of Civil War related material: private letters of soldiers and their families, stationery, weapons and firearms, uniforms, photographs, and prints.

    5”H x10”W x 6.5”D

    Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Shipp

    SHS 1980-1332



© 2009-2017 Sudbury Historical Society, Inc.Last updated 1/2/2015